Tuesday 4 December 2012

Flying High


After returning to Kathmandu, my next set of meetings are not for a couple of days in nearby Lalitpur. I have been working non-stop (weekends included) so I have taken a couple of days to fly over to Pokhora - 200 ks on YetiAir.
Pokhora is a city of 300,000 very close to the base of the Himilayan Mountains and world renowned for its trekking opportunities (it is the picture on my blog in fact.)

A colleague told me if I got the opportunity I should definitely powerglide Pokhora. I am not a paraglider but I took up his advice. Wow.
After a treacherous jeep ride up to a 3000 ft peak, the take off area is a downward slope of about 15 degrees, then a drop of 500 ft to the tree canopy.
“Jeff, the most dangerous part is the take off, just keep running and don’t sit down or jump, just keep running.” Over a cliff. The pilot speaks very little English but it is clearly obvious he has rehearsed this part many many times.
Waiting for a favourable headwind, waiting, waiting, waiting. Ok Go Go Go!!!! I ran and ran. (Eyes closed).
The MOST HAIR RAISING AND SCARY EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE.
My son insisted I take his Go Pro camera and glad I did. I have a movie that I will cherish forever. In the meantime here are some pic’s I took preparing and aloft.  




At this point I am petrified



Aloft!
 

Annapurna Range, with Fishtail Mountain in center view (Max the HD footage I have is AWESOME!!!)