Friday 23 November 2012

Money Matters (?)

This morning I am woken with an urgent text from the bank. There is a possibility that my financial accounts have been compromised. Oh no! The thought of trying to manage a financial issue half a world away.., concerning and stressful for sure. I phone the number that they have given me and begin what I am sure will be a long drawn out process. Good news, between my wife and I in a matter of minutes the problem is solved. Phew.

Today we work on policy documents and Napelese contract law for several hours, then we decide to travel to Chitwan National Park this evening to stay in the Terai* for Saturday.

Praveen, a 25 year old CECI Intern and a graduate of Tribhuvan University with a Masters Degree has been asssigned to work with me on my mandate and is living with me in Hetaudu. He has been my translater, interpreter, guide, secretary, writer. He has taught me about Nepalese norms, etiquette and negotiated finding everything from the right restaurant, to where is the nearest western style washroom (with toilet paper).  On at least three occasions he has saved me from certain collision with crazy Napel road traffic. Strict Nepalese discipline requires that he pay respect to me on a superior level, however, I have convinced him to somehow treat me as his level friend and colleague.

In a rikshaw on the way to get the public bus to Chitwan he is anxious that we don't overspend and we only stay in one hotel room. I tell him don't worry I will pay- but he still feels compelled to save the money. I smile and jokingly ask him, "when you go to heaven do you take your money"? He and I both have a chuckle. He says that in his culture there is a belief that  when you have money - yes- it can be good, but it also, it can be bad because you may end up loosing sight of humanity and be guided only by the money.

An interesting contrast in perspectives I guess.

 


 
*More on the Terrai later.